Brownfields and landfills have limited development options and tend to have a high cost of maintenance. As a result, the EPA promotes using brownfields for solar. Landfills and solar PV go together for a variety of reasons and can create benefits for the landowners and local population.
- Land owners receive financial compensation on land that typically has a high cost to maintain.
- Using brownfields for solar preserves open or agricultural space that would otherwise be utilized for solar.
- Solar development can provide job opportunities to rural areas where a landfill is located.
- Landfills generally have existing electrical infrastructure that is suitable for solar development.
- Solar can often be paired with landfill gasification systems without affecting one another.
- The land is often already cleared, making most sites “solar ready”.